How did you become interested in fashion? || Russian Fashion
Russian Fashion 2022
Growing up, I was always fascinated by style and beauty. As I grew older, my interest only grew and I started to think about working in the industry myself.
When it came time to go to college, however, my parents were not happy about me leaving Russia so they convinced me to become a doctor. It wasn’t what I had dreamed of doing with my life but eventually, I came around and decided to take their advice.
After years of studying medicine in school, a friend’s invitation made me question the path that was laid out for me-eventually leading to an epiphany moment where I decided that it wasn’t too late for a career change!
What are some trends you are loving right now in || Russian Fashion
1. I love that the Russian fashion industry is still developing and that designers are having a say in what they want to create.
2. The internet has made it easier for international designers to collaborate with each other and share their ideas which are really exciting!
3. There’s such a wide variety of styles out there, you can find anything from really dark grungy streetwear to high-fashion couture pieces.
4. For example, I’m obsessed with Gosha Rubchinskiy right now because he creates clothes that feel Russian without being overtly Russian – so cool.
5. Designer Ulyana Sergeenko is another favorite designer of mine because her clothing feels timeless and elegant but also like she isn’t afraid to try new things.
6. To be honest my favorite thing about Russian fashion right now is how inclusive it is.
Are there any items you find yourself reaching for on repeat this season?
Where do you find inspiration as a designer?
Where do I find inspiration? Everywhere! It’s my job to be looking at the latest trends and stay on top of the latest design and tech trends. Being a designer is such a balancing act because you have to anticipate what will come next as well as creating a product that people are going to love right now. The secret is to always look out for things that are trending but also pull your own flavor into it, so people can identify your style with your brand.
What was your favorite part about NYFW (or NYM)?
NYFW was an incredible experience, a true test of what the high end industry is like. It was so different from Moscow Fashion Week, which I always thought was a much more laid back show. In Moscow everyone would turn up to support the brands they liked and make comments on each other’s outfits and makeup but that sense of community just wasn’t there at NYFW.