Surat, known as the Diamond City of India, is also a hub for delicious cuisine. Surat Nu Jaman, the culinary journey through Surat, is a treat for foodies. In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at the history and culture of Surat’s food, and explore the city’s most famous dishes.
History of Surat’s Food:
Surat’s food has been influenced by various cultures over time. The city’s location near the coast meant that seafood was a staple in the local cuisine. Gujarati, Parsi, and Mughlai cuisines have all contributed to the food in Surat. The city’s rich history and cultural diversity can be seen in its unique and varied food offerings.
- Surti Locho, made from gram flour, is a popular breakfast item in Surat.
Ghari, a sweet pastry made with clarified butter and stuffed with khoa, is another must-try breakfast item.
- Khaman Dhokla, a steamed snack made from gram flour, is a popular and healthy breakfast item in Surat.
Snacks and Street Food:
- Sev Khamani, made from mashed chickpeas and topped with crispy sev, is a delicious and spicy snack in Surat.
- Street vendors in Surat offer a savory snack called Gotala, made with eggs, tomatoes, onions, and spices.
- The Surati Sandwich, made with vegetables, chutneys, and spices, is a fusion dish that is unique to Surat.
Main Course Delicacies:
- Undhiyu, a mixed vegetable dish served with puris, is a popular and flavorful main course in Surat.
- Tandoori Chicken, marinated in a special blend of spices and grilled to perfection, is a popular non-vegetarian dish in Surat.
- Chicken Sosyo, made with a unique blend of spices and Sosyo, a local soda, is a signature dish of Surat.
- Pomfret Fry, a crispy and spicy fish dish, is a popular seafood dish in Surat.
- Surmai Curry, made with fresh Surmai fish, is a spicy and flavorful dish that’s a must-try in Surat.
- Shrimp Koliwada, a spicy and tangy shrimp dish, is a popular appetizer in Surat.
Sweets and Desserts:
- Basundi, a sweet and creamy milk dessert, is a popular dessert in Surat.
- Ghevar, a sweet and crispy dessert made with flour, is a specialty of Surat.
- Kulfi Falooda, a delicious ice cream dessert, is a popular and refreshing dessert in Surat.
Festivals and Food in Surat: